Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am paying child support for a child that I don't think is

I am paying child support...
I am paying child support for a child that I don't think is mine. He is 7 years old and I haven't seen him in 4 years.Not sure where they moved to, but I am being told by the mother that I'm not the father she just wanted support. I did not sign the birth certificate and there has never been DNA done. Is there any way for me to find out if the child is mine and her visitation or if he's not m7be stop paying her
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just that I never signed the birth certificate, she named me as the father.I'm paying support and not even sure where she moved to so I don't even get to see him
9/2/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Here is the issue, you have to know where the mother is located, because you have to file suit for a paternity action and in court the court will order a DNA test and if the test proves you are not the father AND the mother as you said knew it and concealed that fact, you would be entitled to recover every last dime paid to her and attorney's fees as well for damages. So you need to start by finding out where she is located, if you cannot do so, you need to go to a local family law attorney and they would have to file suit and then subpoena child support enforcement for her location so she can be served with the paternity suit and ordered to present the child for DNA testing and pursue your legal rights.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Once I find where she is living can I send a certified letter requesting her to take him for a DNA test or does that need to be done by an attorney or do I file directly thru the court

Thank you for your reply.

You need an attorney and will have to file in court to get a court order, so you can recover all the money you should not have paid.

Ok Thank you so much

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer