Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to dismiss divorce because child support cannot be…

Customer Question
Hello. I want to...

Hello. I want to dismiss divorce because child support cannot be agreed upon and I would like court to determine and establish child support before finalizing divorce. Am i only required to file the praecipe for dismissal with that as the reason?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I talked to a lawyer about divorce, after i filed my own paper work. some of the paper work is incomplete/incorrect and that I should have ensured child support and visitation first.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/1/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here you serve the spouse if you have not done that.You then are able to set it for trial 30 days after you served them.If you already served the spouse then you can proceed to set this for trial and court will address all the issues that remain.

Each county has particular rules about how to fill out divorce forms, so check your county court's website for specifics. Generally, it's best to type your forms and print them out on front side only on white paper, size 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch.

The forms you must file to start the divorce are:

All of the forms will have blanks for “plaintiff” and “defendant.” The person asking the court for a divorce is the “plaintiff,” and the responding spouse is called the “defendant.” Some of the forms must be signed while you and/or your spouse are in front of a Notary Public. Do not sign the forms that require notarization until the person(s) required to sign are in front of a Notary Public.

After completing all the forms, make at least two copies of everything. The court will keep one, you will want one for your records, and you will need a copy for your spouse.

You must deliver copies of your divorce papers to your spouse. This delivery is called “service of process.” You may serve the papers by:

Final Divorce Hearing

After you have served your spouse with copies of the divorce papers, you are ready to file a Request for Ore Tenus Hearing. An ore tenus hearing is a oral hearing in front of a judge. You will get may get a Ore Tenus Request form and a Final Decree of Divorce form from the Virginia Poverty Law Center. You will submit these forms to the clerk of court, along with proof of service and your completed VS-4 Form. You must also submit a copy of a separation agreement if you and your spouse signed one.

On the date of your hearing, you must bring copies of all your documents with you to court. You must also bring one corroborating witness with you. This person must have direct personal knowledge of your marriage and circumstances related to your separation. If all legal requirements are met, the judge will grant your divorce at the ore tenus hearing and sign the final divorce decree.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.