Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Could u pls let me know according to ga laws what happens if…

Hi could u pls...

Hi could u pls let me know according to ga laws what happens if both parent refuse to take guardianship go an autistic boy when he turns 18? Would judge place him in foster care?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

9/1/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The foster care system only takes children until they are 18. If parents do not wish to continue caring for their adult child and there isn't another friend or relative to help, he can become a ward of the state. An adult friend or relative can submit the petition on his behalf, if he's not able to do it himself. He may be eligible for aid from the state or other programs.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Thanks you but not sure what is the meaning of ward of state and what kind of aid he may be eligible for ?
No thank will try to connect with u later on this issue if u can't text me now here.

A ward of the state means someone from the state would be appointed to make decisions on his behalf. If his autism is serious enough that he cannot care for himself, he could be given a place in an institution.

By other programs, I meant welfare. He could be eligible for Social Security Disability based on a parent's record if he cannot work and he was autistic before his 18th birthday. He may also be eligible for food stamps, SSI and other need-based programs.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Thank you one last question did you mean mental institute or placement institute?

I meant mental institution, but that's only if his autism were so severe that he could not function or care for himself.

Thank you so much tc bye for now

You're welcome. Have a good night.