Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can the judge of department of child support deal with the

case that one parent is...
Can the judge of department of child support deal with the case that one parent is hiding income? On the general information, the judge will determine the support amount based on income, what about if income was hidden? I live in CA.
8/30/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Hidden income is usually discovered by appointing a forensic accountant. This is a private professional that will review the supporting parent's financial records to determine if they are hiding income.
They may also look to standard of living to determine if there is an issue of hiding income. If so the judge may then "impute" or charge that parent with the expected actual income and use that as a base for determining the appropriate amount of child support. Child support services usually will help with collection and enforcement issues.
DCSS judge will consider what family court judge found at the hearing?
We will go to the trial with our accountants who have different numbers for income and the family judge was supposed to determine. But now the case is handed to DCSS.
If there is a collection or distribution issue, some families will qualify for an administrative hearing. But I cannot find any authority where the judge is divested of the authority to determine the proper child support amount. The judge is typically the person who determines imputed income issues, usually when they are brought before the court by one of the parties. I could not find any contrary authority in the family code or treatises reviewed.
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer