Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need to find a family lawyer in ny for a free consultation…

Hi I need to...

Hi I need to find a family lawyer in ny for a free consultation and evaluation of the case

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just got an order of protection on the father of my child today and i would like to know how i should handle the custody and child support now

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

8/30/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

If there is no visitation orders here you don't have to do anything, the father only has potential rights and he has to file . Apply for child support here

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/pdfs/LDSS-4882W.pdf

Here you need do nothing about custody /visitation.He can file if he wants it otherwise you can avoid him altogether.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
i will tell you a little pre story of the whole situation
I got married in 2011 and divorced in 2017. I received my permanent green card in 2016 and lost all the contact with my ex husband in about 6 months after that
However me and the guy i was seeing had a son in 2015 and I was living separately with a child since then. He was taking care of all the bills/food/rent and i was just a stay-home mother. I started working few months ago and started to pay all the bills in the apartment myself. However the father of my child started being very violent and aggressive. And start threatening me that he will move to a different state and take a child with him, he said that he will report to immigration that my previous marriage was fraud and will get me deported. However i still has last name of my ex husband and our marriage was legit. I have and order of protection for me and my child, but we(me and my child) still live in the apartment that the lease is under his name and he paid the rent upfront. I would like to know if he can cause me any harm with immigration? Can he take a child to a different state without my permission? And does he has a right to move us out from this apartment?
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer