Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Have a family law question, basically short marriage (less…

Have a family law question...
Have a family law question, basically short marriage (less than 3 years) with twins and spouse earning well. Question - which state is best for divorce considering ALL factors as below1. Least Length of residency prior to filing divorce
2. No retrospective CS prior to date of filing
3. Divorce Bifurcation
4. Limited scope for alimony
5. Marital assets determined based on date of marriage and date of separation.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/28/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Nevada has the shortest length fo residency here by far, six weeks.Many people move there solely to file for divorce. A marriage of this length is unlikely to gets spousal support.A Nevada court can set child support and divide the assets fairly.If you are wanting a quick divorce this is the shortest state here.

Reference

Residency Requirements for a Nevada Divorce. Residency Requirements: At least one of the parties in a Nevada divorce must have resided in Nevada for a minimum of six-weeks before filing a divorce. The Court requires proof of your residency in the form of an Affidavit of Resident Witness.

Residency Requirements - Nevada Divorce

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thanks. However Nevada does allow for retro CS - right?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

The judge could award it yes.