Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What can i do to lower my child support from another state.

what can i do to...
what can i do to lower my child support from another state
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no cant afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes i have been supporting my kids all their lives but their mother was on public assistance
8/23/2017
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The only way you can modify your child support obligation is to file a petition with the court and ask for it to be adjusted based on a change in circumstances -- which can be income.

If you can't afford an attorney, you can seek help from local legal aid to get this done. However, you'll have to file this action with the same court that issued the current order UNLESS you can have the venue changed due to the child taking up new residence in another state/county.

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney