How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can i do to lower my child support from another state,

This answer was rated:

what can i do to lower my child support from another state
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no cant afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes i have been supporting my kids all their lives but their mother was on public assistance

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The only way you can modify your child support obligation is to file a petition with the court and ask for it to be adjusted based on a change in circumstances -- which can be income.

If you can't afford an attorney, you can seek help from local legal aid to get this done. However, you'll have to file this action with the same court that issued the current order UNLESS you can have the venue changed due to the child taking up new residence in another state/county.

Roger and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you