Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Father abused mother & child. repeatedly. child was never…

Father abused mother &...

Father abused mother & child. repeatedly. child was never left alone if possible for duration of marriage. young mother divorced, father agreed to supervised visits. abuse not reported to police until later but many witnesses. child, age 3 is extremely afraid of father. at supervised visits refyses to interact with him has to be physically pulled from mother & screams throughout visit. This has been recorded & witnessed by others. Some visits had to be stopped after a few mins. because child was so distressed. How can we stop putting child through this? We are told that since the abuse was prior divorce decree it likely wont be heard as evidence. father is petitioning for unsupervised visitation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Had to release our lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Child has lingering traumatic issues. doesnt handle yelling, loud noises. Father burned her in the bathtub, still has issues with baths. Left her unattended in a vehicle, still panics at being buckled in and throughout hours long car rides. father had 2 suicides in his immediate family prior to divorce, we were afraid for the young mothers life. we have text msgs. he sent where he said "He had to stop getting angry at a 10 mth old baby" but were told since its prior decree it likely wont get heard.

8/22/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

The mother needs to file Emergency Motion for Modification of the Visitation Order and request that the father's supervised visitations be stopped because the child is being traumatic because of history abuse by the father. The mother needs to tell the Court exactly what transpired during the marriage and why she did not file any complaint regarding the abuse.

The mother should also file an answer to the father's petition for unsupervised visitation and ask that the father supervised visitation be discontinued because of history of abuse of the child and the mother by the father. You can obtain Motion and answer forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law