How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2 Your Own Question
Attorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7226
Experience:  29 Years Experience in Family Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son has been sentenced to 11 months in prison. He has a

This answer was rated:

Our son has been sentenced to 11 months in prison. He has a 14 year old daughter who is embarrassed by this and wants to have her last name changes to that of her mother. My son and the mother were never married but he is on the birth certificate and pays child support. Can she legally do this? The mother says she is fine with the decision.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at this is threatening to allow her to do this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of, thanks

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

This would require the father's consent.

Let me set out the process for you. One moment please.

Which county is this occurring in so I can provide the exact requirements for you. Both parents need to consent in Ohio,

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are both from Defiance County
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Easier for me this way...sorry.

No worries if the site offers you a telephone or any additional charges. Please ignore them as they generated by the site and not by me. I am happy to continue in this format.

Once she is 18 she could do this without his consent. For now, since he is living and he is the father his consent would be needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good to know as he would be very upset. He loves this little girl and is his world. Mom is going to be surprised as she said she could do it since he was in prison
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is eligible for parole in December

I understand. That was my though when I read the question. We all make mistakes, we are only human.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for the answers and for your time. Have a good day .

Thank you.