Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I received a summons for first notice for child support in…

Customer Question
I received a summons...

I received a summons for first notice for child support in New York NY. The child is not my child per DNA test. DO I still have to pay child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have proof in the form of a legitimate DNA test proving you are not the father, you should not be found liable for paying child support. You will need to respond to the claim and defend yourself and will need to present evidence of the paternity test and prove you are not the father. However, you will also need to use a local attorney to represent you in order to make sure the paternity test is properly introduced in accordance to the rules of evidence to make sure the court accepts those results from the lab, which requires subpoenaing someone from the lab to testify to the sample collection and results.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.