Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and previous spouse entered into a common law marriage in…

Customer Question
Good morning, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning,

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Me and previous spouse entered into a common law marriage in the state of texas back in 2013 where we lived together, filed taxes, carried step children on my insurance at multiple employers and recently 2016 of may adjusted medical support based on insurance. We seperatedin Sept and finally called in quits in December. I asked for a divorce several of times because of all the government things that were involved. As of last week he has remarried. Is this legal since I have asked for a divorce? Isnt it necessary since the IRS involved?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, to be honest I dont know where I should start, I was hoping two years would have lapsed to dissolve the whole matter. Wasn't expecting the remarried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, there is evidence of us being presented in public as married,(fb,

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.

You are correct in that if a party is currently married, they are not free to marry, and since TX recognizes common law marriages (please see here) neither spouse would be free to remarry until a legal divorce was entered in the courts.

If one party remarries, that marriage is void- since it is legally impossible to be married to two spouses. The first marriage remains intact until there is a divorce.

Even if there is a divorce, the second marriage would not count until there was a new license issued. Additionally the bigamous spouse can be prosecuted for bigamy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

in December 2016 he agreed to divorce
In Feb of 2017 he denied stating that we were not married. Will I possibly need 2 lawyers; family and IRS?
what courts do I go to? Do I file with the Irs as well

For the divorce it is best to hire a family law attorney; they often have experience as well in tax law.

If the party does not agree to the divorce that does not matter- the court will not force a party to be married.

If the first marriage is valid, then there would be no tax reprecussions-for that marriage. If the second "marriage" involves filing tax returns and other tax issues, then the bigamous spouse can be liable from an irs perspective, and the putative spouse (the second spouse that was not aware of the situation) is protected by the innocent spouse doctrine.

Divorce is handled in family court.

No, nothing would be filed with the IRS if the first marriage is the legal marriage (ie common law suffices)

No, I made the new spouse aware that he was married through a social media messenger. In return I was blocked

Then if the new spouse has knowledge that the marriage is not valid they are not protected by the innocent spouse doctrine and can be liable to the IRS for any tax issues.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: