RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have a daughter that is going to turn 18. I have never

I have a daughter that is going to turn 18. I have never seen her, nor was there ever a court order to pay child support. The judge let me go my separate way because he deem the mother to be a treat to me. I want to re-connect with my daughter but don't want her mother to be able to try and collect "back child support" even though none was ever mandated by the court. Also, I live in Colorado--my daughter lives in Oregon.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: ??? Like I said I live on Colorado, my daughter lives in Oregon
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Never
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope... Thanks...

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Oregon would allow her to still seek child support here.

Statute of Limitations on Child Support for Oregon

Oregon child support statute of limitations including the civil code, what age paternity must be established and emancipate rules.

Oregon Age of Majority: when child support payments can be stopped.

18 years old or 21 years old if attending school half-time or more

If not addressed in the order, at what age is child support automatically terminated as a matter of State law?

18 years of age

Does child support end if the child leaves the household but does not emancipate?

No

Statute of Limitations to enforce a child support order.

Prior to January 1, 1994, each overdue payment was a judgment that expired 10 years from the date of accrual if not renewed. Any arrears unexpired on January 1, 1994 and any child support judgment entered after that date expires 25 years from the date of the original child support judgment. (see ORS 25.700).

Statute of Limitations to establish paternity:

No limit.

Is dormancy revival/renewal possible?

No

Decide if you want to risk that.It is a real possibility the ex could come after you if she can find you so be careful.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even in my case where there was no court ordered child support?

She could still file for paternity and seek back support.No statute of limitations here in Oregon if she filed there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks!

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.