How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34958
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 17 years old and live in Colorado. My parents share

Customer Question

I am 17 years old and live in Colorado. My parents share split custody of me. I have been getting into a lot of arguments with my mother but last night it escalated a lot. I no longer feel comfortable being at her house but the problem is that she put in her 2 weeks vacation time so I am required to stay at her house even though it's on my dad's day. is there any way I can legally stay with my father without getting him in trouble? I'm worried my mom would call the cops on him but i really don't feel comfortable staying the night at her house. what are my options?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

As an unemancipated minor, you are still under the care of your parents (so they are required to support you, and make decisions on your behalf)

If you stay with your father when your mother has visitation rights? Mom could sue dad for contempt...and require dad to pay mom's lawyers fees. So if you think mom might hire a lawyer and sue over this? Perhaps not a good idea.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.