Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 17 years old and live in Colorado. My parents share…

Customer Question
I am 17 years old...
I am 17 years old and live in Colorado. My parents share split custody of me. I have been getting into a lot of arguments with my mother but last night it escalated a lot. I no longer feel comfortable being at her house but the problem is that she put in her 2 weeks vacation time so I am required to stay at her house even though it's on my dad's day. is there any way I can legally stay with my father without getting him in trouble? I'm worried my mom would call the cops on him but i really don't feel comfortable staying the night at her house. what are my options?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

As an unemancipated minor, you are still under the care of your parents (so they are required to support you, and make decisions on your behalf)

If you stay with your father when your mother has visitation rights? Mom could sue dad for contempt...and require dad to pay mom's lawyers fees. So if you think mom might hire a lawyer and sue over this? Perhaps not a good idea.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.