Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can Georgia state child support withhold child support from…

Can Georgia state child...

Can Georgia state child support withhold child support from a parent for any reason? This is regarding the father's tax return money....my daughter says they're holding it. They also will not tell her when they obtained it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They do HAVE the money and my daughter has been trying to check on it,that's all

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Normally, no. Unless the daughter has an outstanding balance/judgment against her with a state or government agency (in which case the money can be intercepted), the state of GA would have no reason to withhold the money from her!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law