Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I separated in North Carolina 2015 due to his…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I separated in North Carolina 2015 due to his affair. We both have attorneys there. He is living in NY and I am in SC. Last Jan. we had an mediation hearing and he made it into an Alimony hearing. I am a student and I do not have a job. I also do not have the earning potential he has. Last Jan. basically my attorney had me agree to his terms. I did not like them and I still do not now. I have moved and am still having difficulty finding employment to survive. Also the mediation was for equitable distribution and basically my attorney had me agree to accepting that my students loans that occurred during the marriage was all of my debt. Of course no other debt was resolved that day. I am in SC and I am wondering if I can file for a change in circumstanced for alimony? We are not divorced and he is residing with the girl he had an affair with.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in SC now but everything occurred in NC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I never got any paperwork from my attorney about the mediation but I am assuming it was signed my the judge.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Bradley

without having the paperwork it is hard to determine the status of your case.

you can file for a change of circumstance if one has occurred.

there will be an issue as to where it should be determined I am going to guess that this is still in NC even though no one no lives there.

you can try to contact the court to see if they can give you a status of the case.

if the divorce was finalized and you have been in SC 6 months then you can file the decree in SC and try to modify the alimony.

This also assumes that the alimony is modifiable,the paperwork will tell you that as well.

The first part is the status of the divorce case.