Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My mother died last week in South Carolina. Her husband was…

My mother died last...

My mother died last week in South Carolina. Her husband was named primary executor of her will but he has dementia, so his children are his power of attorney. I was named secondary executor. Who should be the executor of her will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

No paperwork yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

With his children, they have a probate lawyer

8/17/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. While I am happy to speak to you, there is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

in the will it ways, "if my said husband should fail or decline to serve, then appoint my daughter"
He doesn't want to have anything to do with the will and he is very confused. But his children don't want to give up power over my mothers will

My condolences for your loss.

The executor of a will may not assign their rights by a POA, since they have fiduciary duties and were specifically selected by the testator. Therefore, you are the appropriate person to petition to be issued the letters testamentary if the primary executor is unable to serve.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
thank you

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.