Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Parental kidnapping. They have been hiding since Easter.

Parental kidnapping....

Parental kidnapping. They have been hiding since Easter. Police keep saying they can't do anything. I filed charges today. They say a detective must sign off it. Her new friend is derective.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And just to clarify, have charges been officially filed?

Mo

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He says nothing too

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's been a year since they left. Last seen them Easter and the police backed the kids decision to stay. Then she and grandmother hid them that night.

8/16/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Is there an existing court order? If so, what does it say? Were the parents married?

Also, how old are the children?

Married. No custody or visitation established.
Isaac. 10
Isabelle 8
Her reply was no divorce=no kids
But demands 100% custody
Her friend is a detective. He reviews the parental kidnapping case
I just filed it

Thank you.

I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but the law is on your wife's side. The only legal way to force her to give you the kids is to go to court and get a custody order. That requires filing for divorce.

Police have discretion in deciding which cases to pursue and which not to. But they don't have discretion in enforcing court orders. If a judge orders your wife to share custody with you and return the kids, and she doesn't, then you have a stronger parental kidnapping case AND she would be in contempt of court.

You can try going over the detective's head to file a complaint and see if a superior officer will do something more, but if they refuse, only a court order will help you see the kids. There is no cause of action against police for choosing not to prosecute someone.

We have filed. Lawyer just hasn't. Wtf. Been months
Thank you. ***** go to state?
It reads that the broke the law

She did break the law. Absolutely. But a judge can't order police to prosecute someone for breaking the law.

If she crosses state lines, you can call the FBI.

I have to sign off for a bit for an appointment. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them when I return. If not, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

She has
I will

She has what, crossed state lines? Then you can file a complaint with the FBI office in the county where she moved.

She just goes there and back
I just want to see them
go fishin

I understand. The best way for you to get to see them is to file for divorce and request a temporary order. That's your recourse. I don't know why your lawyer hasn't filed yet, but the best thing to do at this point may be to find out what the delay is, and ask what you can do to get the paperwork filed as soon as possible.

K. I'm headed to the FBI

Call first to see if they can take the report over the phone or if you need to make an appointment. Good luck.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Hey love,
I baptized a highway patrol officer. Lol.565.153
He changed the situation immediately. Just wanted ya to know. He straight up said he didn't. And he was a father in similar situation.
Once he cited it.
He turned into new man.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer