Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Question from NYC I have sole legal and physical custody of

Customer Question
Question from NYCI have sole...
Question from NYCI have sole legal and physical custody of my daughter (only 17 months).The paternal grandparents live in Florida - they are incredibly emotionally abusive (to the father most of his life but he maintains loyalty to them versus us). The grandparents made it clear I was not family and would not acknowledge my daughter as family once she was born (we were never married but together for many years thus part of the issue). It wasn't until I was 7 months pregnant that they finally reached out. Once my daughter was born and filed for child support the grandparents went on and on for months that their son wasn't the father. Demanding a DNA test (which I never refused), it's insanely tacky, as I don't associate with people like this, this is not the type of behavior that I am surrounded by. They built a calendar trying to prove she couldn't be their sons (she was 5 weeks early) due to his travel schedule. They have never liked me. They constantly have 'bashing' sessions saying horrible things about me when their family is together (as I hear from the father).My biggest issue is that their actions suggest they don't want her as family if they've spent so much time trying to prove she's not his. I do not trust they are emotionally safe to be around her. I believe they will say horrible things about me if she were around them.
When it becomes an issue, can I prevent them from seeing her? They are finally interested in her and I do not want my daughter around this insanity. Apparently the father Skype's with the grandparents and my daughter - I am NOT ok with this.
The people in my + my daughters life are not like this. The grandparents come from a different cultural perspective (racist, can't hold jobs, blame everyone for their problems). I come from educated people with incredible morals and values. I'm a professional and have cared and financially supported my daughter on my own for the most part. I want her to have love and stability. Their crazy can not be part of her development. Her father has many many mental issues (I did not know about until she was born) likely from them. I want her to have a stable, supportive + loving foundation.
Can I protect her from them? What am I able to do? Again, I have full legal and physical custody. There is also NO visitation order - I let him see her often to avoid court for a number of reasons (separate issue and question).
Thank you
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. If there is no visitation order, then you are free to keep the father from seeing your daughter (and thus keep the grandparents from seeing her). If you still want the father to be able to see his daughter, you will need to get some assurances from him that he not allow your daughter to Skype with the grandparents. Is this something you think he would agree to?

No he won't agree to it. It's a major source of discord between us b/c he does not see the problems his family causes. Nor does he see their behavior as inappropriate (that's really the issue).I am only forced to let my daughter have a relationship with the grandparents if they file a visitation order correct? I think I saw that in one of my many online legal searches.

Yes and no. The grandparents would probably have a hard time filing for their own visitation rights (but it is allowed sometimes). However, the father could file for visitation rights and then he would be free to allow your daughter to see his parents during his visitation time. If you could convince a judge that contact with the grandparents is damaging to your daughter you could likely get a provision in the visitation order that would forbid the daughter from having contact with the grandparents.

Right now, since there is no visitation order, you are free to deny all of them the right to see your daughter.

Thank you...The father is moving out of state to Florida next month (he can not pay child support b/c he does not work) and we'll work out a visitation plan outside of court as of now. He's never had our daughter for more than an afternoon so she will not travel to him solo for an overnight therefore avoiding the grandparents.This is a total mess but thank you for the help. I have a million more questions but thats for another time.

You are very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer