Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Age of consent in California is 18, what happens if two 14

year olds engage in sex?...
Age of consent in California is 18, what happens if two 14 year olds engage in sex?
8/16/2017
Loren, Lawyer
California does not have a close-in-age exemption. Close in age exemptions, commonly known as "Romeo and Juliet laws", are put in place to prevent the prosecution of individuals who engage in consensual sexual activity when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both partners are below the age of consent.
Because there is no such "Romeo and Juliet law" in California, it is possible for two individuals both under the age of 18 who willingly engage in intercourse to both be prosecuted for statutory rape, although this is rare.
What would probably happen then? They would just let it be?
that is most likely. Nothing would happen if both were 14 and neither party forced the other to participate.
Loren, Lawyer
Alright thank you
Loren, Lawyer