Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How hard is it to terminate a guardianship in the state of…

Customer Question
How hard is it...

How hard is it to terminate a guardianship in the state of missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any papers been filed in family court?

Petition to terminate in probate, my husband and i have guardianship of an 18 month old since birth mom wants her back

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has never visited the child only phone calls and facetime but frequently misses her weekly call. the child does not know who she is.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 12 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If the mother has not been in the child's life through visitation and approved overnight visits to test how she will do in raising her child, then it is unlikely that the court will simply terminate the guardianship you have.

Generally, the court will want to see her go from no contact, to periodic visitation (supervised if necessary) and then to overnights and only then will the court consider terminating the guardianship and returning the child to the mother on a full-time basis.

You and your husband will want to file a Response to the Petition to Terminate Guardianship and argue that the mother needs to be reintroduced to the child over time to ensure that the best interests of the child are met.

You may reply to me again if you have additional questions, and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug