Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

A deputy sheriff left her business card at my old home

hi. a deputy sheriff left her business card at my old home address with a note to call her. I called her next day and she informed me that she tried to serve me divorce papers. She also said I could pick up the papers from her office before 4pm.
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: 1 child of the marriage. He's 21, a full time college student.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: New York
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. This is his 2nd attempt to file divorce. The 1st attempt was vacated due to non-service.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can make the deputy come and personally serve you if you do not want to go to the office and be served. However, now you have contacted the deputy, if you do not take service, then they will try to serve you again and if not your spouse can seek an order from the court for service by publication based on your intentionally evading service.
If he wants a divorce, then it is best to take the service and meet this head on and get the divorce done.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I'm totally fine with accepting service and would like to handle this head on. I left a voicemail for the deputy asking her if I could stop by - this was a little over a week ago on my day off. She did not respond or return my call. Should I leave another message and give her my new home address? Also, in the first divorce decree, my husband agreed to pay child support payments June 2014 to May 2017. No payments were ever made. When the divorce was vacated, so was the child support order. I'm not sure what these new set of papers will reveal, but I would like pursue the child support order. Is this possible?
Thank you for your reply.
You need to call and leave your new address. In addition, you need to stop into the office without calling at any time before 4PM and you need to speak to them in person, since many times the papers will be in the office and you can be served right there.
Yes you can pursue retroactive child support back to the date of separation.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We separated November 2003; the 1st divorce decree was filed June 2014 in Queens County. To be clear, are you saying you can help me pursue retroactive child support from Nov 2003?

Please review our terms of service, legally any attorney on this site is forbidden from representing anyone from this site, you will need to get a local attorney to represent you, but you can collect all of the back support in this case.