How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4181
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My "husband's" divorce in the court was completed by the

This answer was rated:

My "husband's" divorce in the court was completed by the judge on March 30, 2017. We got married May 1, 2017. Then the final decree which had the filing date by the clerk etc. came in the mail and the date was June 1, 2017. Are we legally married? If not: what do I do? We live in KY.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: KY
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My lawyer's paralegal stated that all we have to do is request another marriage license and get married again and file those documents because by law our "marriage" is null and void.
JA: Anything else you want Ely (Family Lawyer with more than 55,000 5-star ratings) to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry to tell you that he was still technically married until the final decree was issued. So your marriage is invalid. You need to remarry him to fix this. Just apply for a new marriage license and have a simple ceremony. It is good that you caught this now before it could become a problem somewhere down the line.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thanks.

You are very welcome. I am sorry I could not give you a different answer, but that would be misleading and could have caused you serious difficulties later.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you