How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sue Your Own Question
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 173
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sue is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question for you.I find out recently that my 3

This answer was rated:

I have a question for you.I find out recently that my 3 kid's from a previous marriage doesn't live w/there dad anymore!2 of them are over 18,the youngest one is about to turn eighteen next year!How can I stop child support payments! The one that's under eighteen is living w/poster parent!The child support needs to stop since there no longer living under his roof!
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Nashville TN!
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not really!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it!

Hello, welcome to the site! I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.


This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

You can file a motion to terminate child support in the court and proceeding where it was ordered. Are you comfortable using your local forms?


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can we stop child support payment's? Here in TN,like I said 2 of my kids are over 18!The one that's under eighteen is living w/poster parent's. None of them live under his roof! I thought child support is for kids that still lives w/you! That money is for them not him!The back child support payment doest matter!At least get things modified!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't mind using local forms!

I'm so sorry I cannot accomodate a phone call right now. Do you want me to return your inquiry to the website or is there more I can help you with via this messaging?


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can file a motion to terminate child support!Where do I file this paperwork?

You'll file it at the court where the child support was ordered and in the proceeding it was ordered, e.g. paternity, divorce.


Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where do I get this paperwork?Do I get this at the clerk's office?Maybe I can pull-out this paperwork on any site?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your answer I'll take it from here!

Yes the clerk's office is a good place to start. You might also try your local law library, connected to your court system and/or any local law school.

If you do a web search for court forms in your city/county, the court website often has court forms available, and many jurisdictions now have self-help resources available.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Best wishes,


Sue and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you