Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filed for dissolution of marriage 05/02/2013. It's been…

I filed for dissolution of...
I filed for dissolution of marriage 05/02/2013. It's been filed in county of riverside. The summary was not turned in until 08/09/2017. I'm trying to see when will it be signed and can I get married once it's signed.?
8/14/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I'll wait for my answer.

Divorce (also called a "dissolution of marriage") may be filed by a party seeking to end a marriage. A dissolution or divorce may be granted in the state of California for irreconcilable differences or incurable insanity. To obtain a divorce in the state of California you or your spouse must have lived in California for the last 6 months and for 3 months in the county where you are going to file for divorce. Most people will have to do a regular divorce, but if you qualify for a summary dissolution it is much easier.

You have to call here and see if this was granted or dismissed.This has been a long time here.

Call tomorrow

Riverside County Superior Court  

3.435 Google reviews

Government office in Riverside, California

Address:***** Riverside, CA 92501

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Hours:

Closed today

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks and good luck.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That didn't answer my question. Can I get married once it's signed.?

Yes you can do so.Just make sure it has been signed and get copy for next marriage license.Thanks for letting me clarify here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get married after it's signed. No wait period in my case.?

Depends when it was granted here.

Before both sides of a divorce proceeding obtain a decree restoring their single, non-married status, there is a minimum statutory six-month waiting period in the state of California.

There is a minimum statutory six-month waiting period before you can remarry in the state of California.

Neither spouse may remarry until BOTH:

1. The six month waiting period has passed

AND

2. The court enters a decree of dissolution restoring the non-married status of both parties involved

Be advised that nothing will automatically happen six months after you file for divorce.

In order to re-marry, file taxes as a single person, or simply be single, you need to agree to the terms or your divorce, complete a divorce trial (extremely unlikely), or request an early divorce, known as a Bifurcation of Marital Status.

If a dissolution action is resolved and a settlement is entered with the court prior to end of the six month time frame, a judgment of dissolution can be immediately obtained. Keep in mind the six month waiting period starts on the day the respondent is served documents (or appears in court), not the day the petition is filed.

To acquire the judgment of dissolution, you must go through a trial or settlement, as nothing goes into effect automatically after six months.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer