Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Under California law, how to I obtain a name change and

gender marker change, do I...
Under California law, how to I obtain a name change and gender marker change, do I need an attorney to prepare documentation, or can I prepare it myself? What documentation do I need?Thanks!
8/12/2017
Taylor
Taylor, Attorney

hi my name is ***** ***** i would be happy to help!

Generally, to get a court order changing your name AND gender, follow these steps:

1. Fill out your court forms
    • Petition for Change of Name and Gender (Form NCC-200) and Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-110),
    • Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-220), and
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CM-010).

Some courts also require you to fill out local forms to ask for a name change, like a criminal background information form. Ask your local court clerk if there are local forms you have to fill out. Some courts also have forms on their websites. Find your local court’s website. Make sure to keep copies of any local forms you fill out.

2. Have your doctor fill out an affidavit telling the court that you have undergone clinically appropriate treatment for change of gender
    Your doctor can use the Declaration of Physician — Attachment to Petition (Form NC-210) or write out his or her own declaration. It is very important it be done by a licensed physician; it cannot be done by a nurse. If your doctor uses his or her own letter, make sure it contains all the required information.

3. Have your forms reviewed
    If your court's family law facilitator or self-help center helps people with name and gender change cases, ask them to review your paperwork. They can make sure you filled it out properly before you move ahead with your case.

4. Make 1 copy of all your forms

5. File your forms with the court clerk
    File all the forms and copies in the superior court in the county where you live. The clerk will stamp your forms “Filed,” keep the original, and return the copies to you. The clerk will give you a date for your court hearing and will write it on the Order to Show Cause, along with information on the time and department number for your hearing.
    You will have to pay a filing fee. Find out how much the filing fee is for a first petition (sometimes called a “first appearance” or “first papers”). If you cannot afford the fee, you can ask for a fee waiver.

6. Go to your court hearing
    Go to court on your court date and take a copy of the papers you filed, along with the Decree Changing Name and Gender (Form NC-230) for the judge to sign.

7. Get your Decree Changing Name and Gender from the court
    If the judge approves your request for a change of name and gender, the judge will sign the Decree Changing Name and Gender (Form NC-230). Once you get your signed decree, get a certified copy from the court clerk. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate and other government-issued identification like your driver’s license.

let me know if that doesnt make sense or you have any further questions!

Taylor
Taylor, Attorney