Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

A man and a woman got married in Illinois and divorced 2

A man and a woman got married in Illinois and divorced 2 years later in Illinois. They have no kids together (but they do have them from prior marriages) and no joint assets as they are renting. Is there any alimony (I assume there is no child support)? Right now, he is working and making 6 figures. She is working as well, but she went from a higher paying job to not working for 1.5 years when she moved to be with him to now working again but it pays $40,000/year less. Thanks.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is the approximate current income of the husband?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Approx. $250k per year.

Thank you for your follow up.

What separate assets does each spouse have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has a car (which he paid off), furniture, $10,000 in stocks. He has a vacation condo, $600,000 in stocks, a car and a few hundred thousand in the bank from the sale of his house and some furniture. They both had all of that before they got married. He sold the house when they decided to move in together and rent.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific case, generally, if the marriage duration is less than 5 years prior to divorce, then in most cases, the spouse who earns significantly less, might be entitled to have her legal fees and court costs paid by the higher earning spouse and also might be entitled to short term maintenance, which is usually ordered by the court while divorce is pending, but in most cases would not exceed 6 months in duration.

Generally, according to the new 2017 Illinois law, if one spouse earns about $250k and the other spouse earns $40k, and the marriage lasted about 24 months, then the lower earning spouse might be entitled to around $5,000 a month in short term alimony (normally for no longer than 6 months).

It is important to understand that each case in unique and it is important for the person in similar situation to consult and retain an experienced local family law attorney to have the entire case reviewed and also to have such local attorney provide representation in the pending divorce case.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you think any consideration would be given to the fact she gave up her good paying job and now has one that is much lower paying in terms of alimony? Thanks.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, not in a short term divorce / short term alimony.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.