Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

NJ Family Law ... Im currently providing child support for…

NJ Family Law ...Im currently...
NJ Family Law ...Im currently providing child support for my 23 year old daughter at $360 a month and my 16 year old daughter at $440 a month. These payments go to my x wife. We have joint custody and shared time. My oldest at 23 is fully employed and self-sufficient and I would like inquire about releasing my financial obligation. I would like to file a motion through New Jersey Court System to have my child support obligation for my oldest removed. Currently, I am collecting Social Security disability for an injury. Yet, my ex-wife has been threatening me that if I put in a motion two lower child support for my oldest, she will tell Social Security that I am working for cash. To date, even though my oldest is self-sufficient I've been hesitating in filing this motion because I'm concerned that my ex-wife will ask not only make such claims, yet she will also ask for an increase in child support for my youngest daughter as well. I strongly suspect that my ex-wife will file a counter motion to ask for an increase on the youngest if the oldest support drops off and my concern is that she will also try to say that I'm working off the books and that I actually make more than I do to get as much as she can. What facts or issues should I be aware of within the context of New Jersey Divorce Law divorce law in trying to get my oldest child support removed based on the facts I've shared with you ?
8/10/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

First, why are you still paying child support for a 23-year-old?

A little bit of fear of a lot of financial cost for taking it off.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: In terms of the specifics of New Jersey law, by statute in New Jersey, your obligations automatically terminate at age 19, except in limited circumstances. The custodial parent may request that support continue if they can prove that the child is still in high school, enrolled full-time in post-secondary education, or is physically or mentally disabled.

In terms of her behavior or fear of any retaliation for now continuing to pay, it sounds to me like extortion. And that is a crime, in and of itself. If you have this in writing, you might think about using that for leverage.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer