Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife plead guilty to a felony domestic abuse towards me.

My wife plead guilty...

My wife plead guilty to a felony domestic abuse towards me. How will this affect my divorce if I move forward with it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Sentencing is August 11th

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

8/9/2017
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me some time to read your facts and type my response.

If you received an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and in your case this format should be sufficient.

Ok, do you know how this will affect my divorce if I choose to get one?

Your question: " How will this affect my divorce if I move forward with it?"

Answer: Since Missouri is a no-fault divorce state the only way it can have much of an effect is if you are asking for a disproportionate share of the marital property in the divorce or if you have children over which you are trying to get custody or extra visitation. While the judge doesn't have to rule in a particular way based on the conviction he can use it in making determinations on these two issues.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

I am asking for all the assets and debts as she cannot pay for anything.

The judge will be inclined to award assets to you anyway if they are equal or close to equal to the debt. However, the conviction makes it even more likely. If you are intending to ask the judge to do this then you probably want to serious consider using an attorney to assist you since it is extremely hard for someone representing themselves to get all of the evidence concerning assets, debts, as well as the conviction presented to the court in an admissible form.

JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer