Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife has had most physical custody of our child for the

last 2 years because my...
My wife has had most physical custody of our child for the last 2 years because my previous employment had me traveling to various states. However, I currently have a new job that will allow me to spend more time with my son, which I would really like. I live in Riverside County. I've tried several times to request that the judge hear my case but since my son's mother will not come to an agreement with me in mediation he will not hear it. I do not care to change orders for child support but only would like to spend more time with my son. What steps should I take next?
8/9/2017
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

Usually, a judge won't hear a custody case until after mediation fails. I am a little confused as to why the judge won't even hear the case if mediation has failed. Did the judge give a reason? The only reason I can think of is that the judge is saying that there is no change in circumstances that changes the best interests of the child. But a judge would usually say that after a hearing, not as a way to preempt a hearing. Has the judge explained his reasoning? Have you provided the judge with a copy of the mediation report?

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney