Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you werte married in a community property state and one…

If you werte married...

If you werte married in a community property state and one spouse moves to a non community state does that remove the community property factor

Lawyer's Assistant: Are there any minor children in the relationship?

Yes one

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Please give me some time to consider your question.

What do you mean by the community property factor? Do you mean to ask whether the property is still considered community property when he leaves the state?

Which property? The property located in the community property state?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is simple we were married in a community property state do the community property laws apply when a spouse still married moves out of state and files for divorce from a non community property state in other words should I be proactive in filing before she does in a non community property state

Sir,

I did not intend to waste your time; I was simply trying to get clarity about something for which I was not clear. Thank you for your patience.

Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: I can't decide for you whether you should decide to file first, but in general, property acquired as community property in a community property state is not converted to non-community property when someone moves to another state. The property retains its characterization.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer