Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am the non custodial parent after a divorce, my kids live…

I am the non custodial...
I am the non custodial parent after a divorce, my kids live with their mother mostly, I provide health insurance for my kids, I also have an fsa acct set aside to cover out of pocket expenses. My ex-wife and I share the cost of other medical expenses, I am wondering if I have a bill for a medical expense, and my FSAQ account covered a portion of that bill, can I consider that part of my responsibility when splitting the rest of the bill? I have this year spent over $2000 in fsa money that comes from my paycheck, that's in addition to child support, spousal support and health insurance.
8/7/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes it would count.You are paying your share out of your account it still counts.Make sure you have good records in case other parents claims otherwise.Perfectly legal to pay for child's co pays etc out of such an account.You are smart to do this it lowers your income and is a god way to pay for it .Nothing wrong with this as long as you have records if someone claims you didn't pay.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

thank you Sir this helps hugely, so if i pay $50 of a $100 bill with my fsa acct, am i responsible for a portion of the remaining $50? sounds like you are saying that my share of the extra costs paid from my fsa are indeed my fair share and the remaing $50 would then be the responsibility of my ex wife?

Thats correct and you may produce the transaction page and send to her that you paid your share from the fund.

If 2 of my kids are over 18, and i'm already paying for their health insurace, am i reponsible for paying what isn't covered by health insurance.

18 years, unless attending secondary school full time or up to age 20 whichever comes first. 18 years of age. May extend past 18 if still in high school. Support ends when the child graduates from high school or reaches 19 years of age.

Termination of Child Support- Age of Majority

Not if they graduated high school support ends at that point in your state.

Thanks again

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer