Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about what the fine is or punishment for…

Customer Question
Good morning, I have...

Good morning, I have a question about what the fine is or punishment for contributing to a minor ticket? I'm in Oklahoma and am going thur a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What had happened was my minor children were at my home which I will get in the divorce and my estranged husband show up wanting everyone to leave attack my daughter 17 year old boyfriend and there was alcohol there and they breatherlized all the minor there and my child they said was drunk she had a drink of a jack daniels cooler. I just need to know where I stand and what can happen. thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum of up to 1 year of imprisonment and a fine of $1,000. The maximum penalty is very rare, unless you had an extensive criminal record already. However, if you're found guilty, that could have an impact on your divorce, especially if you're seeking shared or primary custody.

Because of the different standard of proofs, a person cannot claim not to have done something in civil court after being found guilty in a criminal court. It's a good idea to talk to a local criminal defense attorney who also does family law. You'll want to see if there is any basis for disputing charges, or if it's possible to reduce the charges to a misdemeanor that doesn't involve the children, like disorderly conduct.

A good place to find someone is www.martindale.com.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?