Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering if common law marriages were legal in NY…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if common law marriages were legal in NY State and NJ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont understand the question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm asing for my sister. She lived with a man for 35 years and he just passed away. We want to now can she recieve spousal benifits from his social security?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response 1: Unfortunately, no. Common law marriage was abolished in New York in 1933 and New Jersey in 1939.

Response 2: Regrettably, she cannot because there is no longer common law marriage in New York or New Jersey. So she would not be considered his widow.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,