Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was wondering if common law marriages were legal in NY

Customer Question

I was wondering if common law marriages were legal in NY State and NJ?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I dont understand the question.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm asing for my sister. She lived with a man for 35 years and he just passed away. We want to now can she recieve spousal benifits from his social security?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Response 1: Unfortunately, no. Common law marriage was abolished in New York in 1933 and New Jersey in 1939.

I'm asing for my sister. She lived with a man for 35 years and he just passed away. We want to now can she recieve spousal benifits from his social security?

Response 2: Regrettably, she cannot because there is no longer common law marriage in New York or New Jersey. So she would not be considered his widow.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,