Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My step son who has been in my custody and his fathers since

Customer Question

My step son who has been in my custody and his fathers since he was 3 was in his room and i caught his cursing and making the dolls have sex i whooped him with a paddle and apparently his grandmother got him and says she is filing abuse charges. She has not seen him until npw in 3 years i have 3 other children amd when needed i do whoop them on their bottom with a paddle. Did i do anything wrong. Im not sure if he told her or their was a mark but his biologiacal mother is in prison and i have raised him and fpunf that behavior inappropriate
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No she says shes going to monday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is far from abused
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the OCGA 19-13-1, the code defines family violence and says, "The term 'family violence' shall not be deemed to include reasonable discipline administered by a parent to a child in the form of corporal punishment, restraint, or detention."
This means that you can use reasonable corporal punishment on your child or the child under your guardianship. Grandma is likely making a powerplay here and generally reasonable corporal punishment is not cause for any criminal charges and is not wrong under the law.
You also need to know your child needs help and you need to be arranging for some immediate psychological counseling for him to get to the bottom of the issues he is having.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.