How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5165
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A few days ago I connected with you. my daughter has 2

Customer Question

hello a few days ago I connected with you. my daughter has 2 children, 12 and 13 .court has given father 2-3 hour visits, but who determines what day or what times.facilitator has told my daughter that visits will change from thursday 5-6 pm to saturdays 12:30-3:30 pm. children starting school. lots of weekend activities with school, church,. jr kiwanis , cheer sports. father is aware of this but is being stubborn,what to do? thank you Patti
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
Hello. I'm so sorry that. It's difficult to have to deal with someone who is not being extremely helpful with the situation; however, there may be some hope though, mostly because of your children. Now, it's ordinarily not a great idea to use children if there are custody issues. But older kids often have a say to some degree. Because you're kids area bit older, I believe that I their opinions regarding their schedule, not just their schedules, will make a difference. Although I won't understand the relationship between your children and their dad, as a dad, I know that if the kids feel strongly about how they're dad's issues with custody may impact their lives, it will help create a practical situation that benefits the kids. Basically, you should encourage the kids too be honest with him. Also, be smart about it and document their efforts. This way, if you need to modify the cusudoy again, you can explain that if the court is interested in the children's best interests, they can see proof of what their best interests actually are.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
In the end, many times the stubbornness is not about the kids, but how he's hurting you; if the kids can take charge of their lives, as many of these sports abs activities are intended to do, you'll be surprised how mature they are and how much it'll help everyone, the courts and your ex included, to see it your way.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I m the grandma, daughter had baby 2 days ago, mother has married, father and my daughter never married. , I get it dad wants more time with children,judge will not listen to children . they do not want visits. each time they go they tell their dad this, but supervisor tells them you need to respect him, and be nice to him and play games with him. so they do. but they come out in sad moods. saying I do not want to come back next week. so now what do we do? is there some way or some lawyer that will take payments? have you ever heard of unbundled legal help. t?hey sound good , but I am very leary . they charge you for services to get a lawyer, then $40.00 a month to continue for services? not sure what his means. thal you patti
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what should we do next?
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
Hi Patti. I understand. If the kids are feeling sad and don't want to come back, your daughter has the option to not send them back and request a modification of the custody based on this. Also, I'm sorry if I misunderstood, I thought this was your ex, but I can see clearly that you said that it was your daughter's that. Regardless, the same principles apply. What's best for the children depends in part on what they think is best as well. If they don't think that being with Dad it is, then of course will take that into consideration.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
Oftentimes, a lawyer will take payments, but I would not ordinarily recommend getting an attorney for the situations. The reason is because it may just be more expensive than what it's worth. You'll probably have better success and be able to get things done more quickly if you and your daughter work together
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.
If you do need a lawyer, check your bar association's lawyer referral service. You can usually find an attorney for extremely cheap. You may need to find a new attorney who is willing to take cases on. Also, your bar association may have a pro bono service if your daughter qualifies financially.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HELLO thins are in slow mode right now. father gets anytime and days he wants. his lawyer told us. any day of the week up to 3 hours 1 day a week . so of course he is going to pick Saturdays , 12;30-3;30 right in the middle of the day, he did that 12 yeas. mother worked Tues - sat off at 4:00 father had visit 4:30- 5:30 friday saturday sunday mondays. showed when he wanted to and never called other times. on well life has on. so we start again. the court never canceled any visits outside at their home he just hardly ever came, should the courts take in to considerations all those years he never came? thank you let you know soon what else is going on hank you have a great day Patti
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Thank you Patti for following up. Generally, the court may consider the years that he never came. You can suggest to your daughter that she suggest to the court that he doesn’t have the best track record of being consistent with his custody duties so it would be harmful to the children to schedule them for a time when he is not likely to show. Keep me updated.

If you don’t have any other questions, would you mind providing me with a 5-star rating? Thanks so much.