Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am getting a divorce. I found out the my husband had taken

Customer Question

I am getting a divorce. I found out the my husband had taken out a 401 loan. He defaulted on it. Does he still have to pay me half of that loan. And what if the money he toke is gone? Do they have a time limited on receiving the money on a default loan?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: My lawyer is not doing anything. My husbands lawyer and my lawyer are friends out side of work. no there is no children or property
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: arizona
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have paid him over $2000 he is not answering any of my calls and is not calling me either
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Generally would be entitled to half the balance pre loan and he would have to make up the debt he assumed.You should get detailed financial records to confirm.
If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Court can compel him to cover your legal fees.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up