Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am currently 57 and was married seven years ago to a woman

Customer Question
in california she...
i am currently 57 and was married seven years ago to a woman in california she quit her full time job after geting married and has not worked sense, i have asked her to get a job repeatedly over the years. i made around 90,000 last year, shee is currently living with her mom how much should i give her per month until we are divorced?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i currenty owe the irs over 100,000 and am working out of state
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally you are not obligated to give her anything at all without a court order. Also, a 7 year marriage is a short term marriage in CA and the amount of support she could get even if she qualified would be fairly limited. In those cases, generally $1000 a month is about all they would qualify for and then only for 1/2 the length of the marriage so it would be limited to about 3.5 years.
At this point, without court order you should not give her anything. If she wants support, you need to let her go to court and ask for it. In court, support is determined based on her needs, your ability to pay AND her inability to work. If she is voluntarily unemployed, the court is likely going to give her NO SUPPORT.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer