Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have two kids with my ex husband eho had taken me to court…

Customer Question
I have two kids with...
I have two kids with my ex husband eho had taken me to court 3 times for custody since his relationship with his new wife started. This last time he actually had a real case as I was hit (not while my kids were home) by my boyfriend. I ended my relationship with him for now for the sake of custody of my kids, and for my him to get counseling for his anger. However, before I ended it, we found out we were pregnant.My ex husband and i seed lon remaining joint and legal custody with no child support, since me ending my relationship with my bf ended his case essentially.My ex bf has voluntarily gone to batterers intervention and has expressed a desire to be in my chilldrens (from my marriage) and his babys life.I am due to have this baby in 2 months. It has been 3 months since my ex husband and I settled our custody arrangements. It has been 1 month since my ex bf completed his batterers intervention program.I would love for him to be in our lives. However, I am not sure what steps to take to reintroduce him into our home without creating another custody battle and hearing.A petition? Does it need to go before a judge? I am at a loss.Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/4/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about the situation. Yes, if you now want to try and regain custody and/or shared custody, a motion would need to be filed with the court and it would need to go before the Judge. You would need to show and explain to the Judge why it is in the best interest of the children to be back in your custody and care and try and show and explain the situation with the father of your child and how he has gotten help and is no longer a risk or threat to the children.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never lost custody of my children. My exhusband and i settled to a joint 50/50 custody arrangement. So it is not a matter of getting my custody back. Just reintroducing the father of my child back into our home. Since we settled out of court, there was nocourt order sating that he coukdnt be there, but there is a GAL report saying she advised he not be there, so I didnt want to just bring him back in. I wanted to take the right steps to do it and avoid drama and stress.

Unless there is a court order in place, there is nothing preventing him from being there. While the GAL recommended / advised he not be there, if the Judge was aware of this and did not take action and still awarded joint custody, the burden would shift back to the father, to take action if they desired.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess thats my issue. The only reason he settled was because I put the father of my child out. I am wanting to be alpha this time and ensure that I take steps to avoid HIM taking ME for custody again, when the father of my child comes back.

You really can not stop him unless you were granted permission to allow it but if there is nothing in place, I do not think at this time you could motion the Judge and ask for something which is allowed at this time.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.