Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I had been with my fiancé for 5 years, we have 2 properties

Customer Question
Hello! I had been with...
Hello! I had been with my fiancé for 5 years, we have 2 properties together. I want to know if I qualify for Maintenance/prohibition support, or support of any kind, we live in Florida.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Sure, thank you.

So, what you were looking for something called palimony. Palimony Is generally defined as continued support given by one person in a relationship to their not marry partner. Unfortunately, the State of Florida does not recognize this form of palimony. Essentially, the properties that you and your fiance have together are going to just be considered properties that you hold in joint tenancy or as co-tenants. Additionally, if you guys were to break up, then neither you nor the other party or going to owe an obligation to provide maintenance or support to the other. Basically, until you get married come with the law will treat you as if you are two entirely separate people.

Although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied so follow up questions are free. Before rating your opinion of my service, feel free to ask any additional questions.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer