Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Well I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to stop

Customer Question
well I'm trying to figure...
well I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to stop garnishment of my check for kids that are not mine. my name is ***** *****
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: tn and its ms child support doing this
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I got a letter from the irs telling me that Desoto co. took my refund and give me a # to call and when I did it was saying I was over 57,000 + in the rear.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i tried filling for a divorce from my wife whom i have not been with for over 15yrs but when she went to sign the papers she all of a sudden had a change of mind. and the fact that the courts had told me one time many years ago that as long as i was married to her those kids were my responsibility. wether i was the father or not. I'm furious.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley
How do you know that they are not your kids?
How many kids?
Are you on the birth certificate?
one of them after he was born i thought was mine and i think i signed the birth certificate not really sure because she was always cheating on me. i do know sarah isn't mine because she is mixed and the last two i know are not mine because we weren't together nor had we been together since 98
Are you paying child support on all of them?
Well i wasn't because i did not know i was being charged for child support till now. My work just received a letter today from ms child support to garnish my wages.
You need to go to your local domestic relations office to see exactly what is going on. Once you get that information you can react. Laws have changed they no longer presume you are the father simply because you were married. You may need to file a motion for genetic testing.
ok that's what ill do. I'm waiting for the divorce lawyer i had hired for her to file for a divorce in 2013 in which she didn't sign for whatever reason. I'm hoping he can advise on what i can do. He is in ms as well.
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer