Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Adoption question regarding my 16 year old son. Married his…

Customer Question
Adoption question regarding my...

Adoption question regarding my 16 year old son. Married his mother in 2005 when he was almost 4 years old. Calls me Dad not step Dad.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any papers been filed in family court?

No. Question is biological father is not willing to sign any papers. He is Brazilian national lives in Brazil. Minimal contact last several years. No financial support the last 5 years. Mother is Japanese national with full custody according to Japanese law.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Hawaii. Can I adopt without father's consent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have asked biological father for about 5 years. Son does not have good relationship with biological father. That's it.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

You don't necessarily need the father's consent, but what you would need to do is have the parental rights of the biological father terminated. Some of the grounds for termination are: (1) abandonment of the child; (2) lack of financial support; (3) sustained lack of contact; or (4) abuse or neglect of minor children.

This will be a complicated process though and you would be best off trying to find a local family law attorney who can file the necessary documents on your behalf and make the necessary arguments to get the parental rights terminated. After the parental rights are terminated, you can then complete the adoption of your son. Because your son is over 12 years of age, he will be required to sign a consent to the adoption.