Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

If unemployment benefits are being garnished to the point I

Customer Question

if unemployment benefits are being garnished to the point I cant support myself. do i have options?
JA: How long was the marriage? Do both parties earn roughly the same amount of money?
Customer: yes.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i have been advised my unemployment will be garnished I am behind in support payments. but the 60% garnishment will make me unable to support myself
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: i live in oregon (unemployment benefits in oregon) but she lives in washington state (where the divorce/support agreement was filed)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of thank you!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. If your wages are being garnished tothe point that you can support yourself, you can submit a request for modification in the state where the order was entered. In your case, if the divorce and support agreement is in Washington, you'll need Find some 28 line pleading paper and then say that according to RCW 26.09.170, you are requesting that the spousal support be modified. If you click here, you can see what the full rule is regarding it so that way you can make sure that you are asking for the right thing.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.