How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35015
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question, If I have raised my grandchild for 11years and

Customer Question

question, If I have raised my grandchild for 11years and that is her age now do I have legal rights
JA: What's the legal status of the mother or father's parental rights? Are there any custody orders in place?
Customer: no father, only my daughter. When baby was born she was in and out, I took care of her. At age of 3 we all decided to move and baby told her she wanted to stay with me, so she said you can raise her, since I was doing it since birth...My daughter wasn't ready to have a child so she was pretty much absent.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: florida
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My grandchild still resides with me. My daughter lives separate, but now is pregnant with 3rd child and it acting crazy since her boyfriend left her. When he is around she doesn't know anyone, now she is alone and is being very obnoxious.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Only the court can grant "legal rights". So if there is not a court order? You do not have "rights"
THat said, what you are describing, I suspect if you went to court, that the court would award you rights to the child.

You would need to have a local attorney assist you in filing for visitation/guardianship

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.