Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Served with papers. 17 year marriage. Papers state nothing…

Customer Question
Served with papers. 17...

Served with papers. 17 year marriage. Papers state nothing is to be remove,sold or hidden,till court. She would like to enter property to retrieve more clothing and baking dishes while I'm working. Do I need to allow this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York. Corning

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just divorce papers secreted this morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She vacated the house,on Tuesday the 18th. I was at work and came home to a note on the table saying she was sorry but she was leaving and not to contact any of her family

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/3/2017
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 11 months ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

You are not legally required to let her in your house, but if you refuse to let her have her personal belongings, it could look bad for you and make the judge rule against you on other matters. A good compromise if you don't want her in your home is to ask her what she wants and box it up for her and let her pick up the boxes from a neutral location.

If she goes in without your consent, there is probably nothing you can do about it if her name is ***** ***** title or the lease.

Do you have any other questions?