How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Served with papers. 17 year marriage. Papers state nothing

Customer Question

Served with papers. 17 year marriage. Papers state nothing is to be remove,sold or hidden,till court. She would like to enter property to retrieve more clothing and baking dishes while I'm working. Do I need to allow this
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York. Corning
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just divorce papers secreted this morning.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She vacated the house,on Tuesday the 18th. I was at work and came home to a note on the table saying she was sorry but she was leaving and not to contact any of her family
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 2 months ago.

You are not legally required to let her in your house, but if you refuse to let her have her personal belongings, it could look bad for you and make the judge rule against you on other matters. A good compromise if you don't want her in your home is to ask her what she wants and box it up for her and let her pick up the boxes from a neutral location.

If she goes in without your consent, there is probably nothing you can do about it if her name is ***** ***** title or the lease.

Do you have any other questions?