How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5270
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file for back child support on my ex husband who has

Customer Question

Can I file for back child support on my ex husband who has recently located after 35yrs
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Ok, he is in Alabama
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not on my end,but he pays in Alabama
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our son was the 1st born, legally married,he went to prison.Never heard from him till now
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. There is no statute of limitations to the collection of Child Support. This means that even though it has been 35 years, it is possible that you may be able to receive some back child support as a result. You may need to request a modification of child support in your state with your local Court. You can explain that because the child was never taken care of by the father, then child support must be paid back. The court may order some of this money to go to you or it may order that a portion of it go to your child, but it's going to depend.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.