How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5228
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Husband has been on disability (4th stage cancer survivor

Customer Question

Hi, husband has been on disability (4th stage cancer survivor with issues) sold our house in nj - bought home(cheaper in NC) I still live(rent) in NJ and work in NJ for a co. for 24 years. can I quit my NJ job so I can stop renting in NJ and go be with my husband and collect umemployment?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I work currently in NJ but we bought a cheaper home in North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no I still work in NJ - I was inquiring only because it would be nice to quit in the near future to go live with him-
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no simple: hubby on disability . we sold home 3 years ago (for financial reason) with him on disability - renting in NJ because I have a job of 23 years at this CO. bought home in NC because cheaper to live there. I would like to go be with him and was wondering if I quite my NJ job can I collect unemployment until I find something in North Carolina?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. My father-in-law was in the same situation about 10 years ago. The answer to your question is yes, you can quit your job and collect unemployment while living with your husband in North Carolina. However, there are some things that you have to consider. In the state of New Jersey, if you simply quit your job, you will not be eligible for unemployment. To qualify for unemployment, you have to have been separated from your employment through no fault of your own. this is not a hard-and-fast rule, and many times the state will take a lot of situations under consideration.Generally, the state will consider something like your situation to be for good cause. According to the state of New Jersey, "Good cause connected with the work," means that your reason for leaving must be directly related to your job and be so compelling that you had no choice but to leave the job. if you can prove that your husband has been sick and that there is no one else to take care of him, then you may be able to collect unemployment in move in with him.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.