How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1315
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 16 the visitation papers from 10 years ago are

Customer Question

My son is 16 the visitation papers from 10 years ago are unfortunately not in my favor but that is the past, since then his dad has gotten a divorce and leads a lifestyle my son, Bailey, wasnts no part of so decides not to go over there. I don't have the money for an atty to modify the orders that he has never followed anyway but is now threatening my son to use those 10year old papers to get him to come and see him. Can he do that? I pay or my mom pays for everything for Bailey he wont pay half of his truck payment $100, or $15 on phone bill and did not buy him any school clothes last year and I'm sure doesn't plan to this year.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting your family law question today. A visitation order , even if ten years old, will still be in place. You mentioned that you have no money to hire an attorney to file a modification of custody and support order. You can file yourself pro se or seek out many of the free legal aid services.

His Dad is still obliged to follow the previous court orders.

The correct action is to file a contempt of court motion with the family court for failure to follow the court mandate.

You mentioned various expenses so if these were supposed to be covered by the dad then he can be held in contempt of court.

We are here to help

Please follow up with me when you need more information.

In return remember to rate positively.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4 **** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today

This gives me a credit for my time and response.


Attorney Bill