Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My case was closed in 2015 because I could not provide any…

Customer Question
My case was closed in...
My case was closed in 2015 because I could not provide any information about my ex-husband. Last statement was that he owed 59,221.26 but my kids are of age they are 29yrs & 28 yrs old can I still reopen my case in cal8fornia
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.
There is no statute of limitations on child support arrearages in California. However, there are equitable defenses, such as Laches, Waiver, or Estoppel, depending on the situation causing the delay in enforcement.
In exercising its broad discretion to determine the appropriate means of enforcing Family Code judgments, the court generally can--and should--consider the equities of the situation. [Marriage of Dancy (2000) 82 Cal.App.4th 1142, 1154, 98 Cal.Rptr.2d 775, 783 (child support)]Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!