Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have a daughter who will be there in Sept. I have not seen

Customer Question

I have a daughter who will be there in Sept. I have not seen her very much but want to begin regularly. I use to be an ass but I have made changes nitnthe mother is still keeping me from her and being rude. What are my rights
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: I am completing them today
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Alaska
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a felon now for 3 time dui
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You will need to go to court to change this since the mother is not being cooperative. You will need to present evidence of the changes you have made to the court and file a Motion to Change/Modify Visitation and ask the court to implement a new visitation order to force the mother to provide you visitation time. Only the court can help you with this and you will need to present them evidence and witnesses to testify that you are capable of having visits with the child and that your relationship is being impaired by the mother denying visitation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is not yet a custody case open. So, what are my rights considering
Thank you for your reply.
If there is no custody case open, then this is an issue. As a father you have rights to see your child whenever you wish, BUT if the mother will not allow it, then you need to still go to court and file a Petition for Custody/Visitation and ask the court to order visitation, because that is the only way that you can enforce your rights legally. Once you have the order in place, if she refuses to allow visitation you can bring her to court for contempt and the court will fine her and even jail her if she refuses to comply.