Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Family law question. My sons father filed with the

Family law question. My...
Family law question. My sons father filed with the California courts to establish custody and visitation. I hired an attorney, he did not. After I used up my attorneys retainer fee , my sons father refused to sign the paperwork and my attorney retired.Now my son is 15 and wants to live with his Dad. I am fine with it, but I want the courts to be involved.Do I go to the court to request the old case to be brought up again or do I file for a new case ?
8/2/2017
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney

Most courts dismiss an inactive case after a few years, but not all. You need to check with the court and see if that case remains active, or if it has been dismissed by the court. If it is still an active case, you would file within that case. If not, you will have to file a brand new case.

Do you have any other questions?

Do I have to physically go to the courthouse to find out if a case is still open??And...At first the courts were bringing us in every 2 mos to make sure the case was progressing, then they stopped. Why would they stop doing the updates?

Unless it was a paternity case, the clerk's office may tell you over the phone. If they stopped sending you updates, it's either because they dismissed the case, or the case somehow got lost in the crowd.

OkThank you so much

You're welcome. If you have no further questions, I'd appreciate if you'd rate my answer so I may get credit for my work. Thank you.

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Done!

Thank you!

S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney